CONTACT: Cheryl McLean
Tel: 804-359-5661, ext. 253
7800 Carousel Lane, Richmond, VA 23294
*Filling out an application packet and doing the following:
1. Fill out application (all questions must be answered and signature is required) and send to Cheryl McLean along with a $50.00 check ($75.00 for non-Virginia resident) made out to Treasurer of Virginia. (State Licensure application materials can be found at: www.doe.virginia.gov.)
2. Form #35 (college verification): Top half filled out by applicant and bottom half filled out by Dean/Registrar of college from which you graduated and received degree and return to Cheryl McLean.
3. Form #37 (report on experience): Top half filled out by applicant and bottom half filled out by Principal of school where you taught. If you have not done any teaching, fill out top half anyway and put N/A on bottom half and return to Cheryl McLean. Virginia Department of Education requires that all forms be returned to them.
4. All VDOE applications for teacher licensure must include a current First Aid/CPR/AED certificate.
5. Request from all colleges official, non-electronic or third party, transcripts.
6. If you have a Teaching License from other states, submit copy/copies when you submit your application and $50.00 check payable to Treasurer of Virginia
7. Send a copy of your VIRTUS certificate along with your paperwork to Cheryl McLean!
8. A file folder will be established for the applicant by this office until all information/paperwork is received, then it will be submitted to the Virginia Department of Education.
9. Allow 12-16 weeks for response.
PROVISIONAL LICENSE. If you have a Provisional License, you must complete the requirements on the requirements sheet attached to your license. The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) allows a 3-year time period to meet the requirements. VDOE does not allow extensions for a Provisional license; so, if the license expires and the VDOE criteria have changed, you would come under the new criteria/regulations.
COLLEGIATE LICENSE. There is a five-year renewal cycle. 180 points must be obtained within the five-year window and prior to the expiration date on the license. If you have a Collegiate License, which means you have a bachelor’s degree, you may earn college credits that support your current endorsement, documented by a transcript. The course work must not have been previously taken. Points may also be earned through approved workshops/in-services/conferences/etc. and must be supported by documentation of the activity and submitted with a Recertification Activity Request form (accessed above).
POSTGRADUATE PROFESSIONAL LICENSE. There is a five-year renewal cycle. 180 points must be obtained within the five-year window and prior to the expiration date on the license. If you have a Postgraduate Professional License, which means you have a master’s or doctorate degree, 180 points may be earned through college course work not previously taken and documented by a transcript, or through approved workshops/in-services/conferences/etc. which must be supported by documentation of the activity and submitted with a Recertification Activity Request form, or a combination of both.
Note: If your license expires and the VDOE renewal criteria have changed, when you decide to renew you would come under the new criteria.
The following documents are required for license renewal and should be sent to Cheryl McLean, Office of Catholic Education, 7800 Carousel Lane, Richmond, VA 23294:
VDOE does not accept renewal documents sent directly to them, rather through the appointed school system liaison.