Haiti Healthcare Support Team is a specialized committee of the Haiti Ministry Commission tasked to provide various kinds of support to parishes that desire to address the healthcare needs of Haiti. HHST partners with the Hinche Healthcare Commission and collaborates with them to foster long term sustainable initiatives supporting Haitian leadership in healthcare initiatives.
Haiti Healthcare Support Team Main Goals and Objectives
- To serve as a resource for healthcare initiatives by Richmond parishes
- To work closely with Hinche Healthcare Commission to support healthcare in the Diocese of Hinche
- To provide informational memos on relevant topics
- To find other possible partnerships in healthcare for parish in both dioceses.
Haiti Healthcare Support Team Members
- Dr. Kurt Elward | Church of the Incarnation, Charlottesville
- Anne Knasel, MD | Saint Thomas Aquinas, Charlottesville
- David Gilligan, MD | Saint Mary Catholic Church, Richmond
- Joel Schmidt, MD | Saint Michael the Archangel, Glen Allen
- Diane Biskobing, MD
- Clair Fowlkes
- August Sanusi, MD | Saint Thomas Aquinas, Charlottesville
- David Park
- James Schmidt, MD, MSPH
- Kim Olbrich
- Sarah Johnson
- Monica Walker
- Gary Sargent | St. Michael’s, Richmond
- Fr. Herald Jean | Diocese of Hinche
- We are also blessed to have representatives from Midwives for Haiti
Specific projects under development
Specific Projects under development
- Medication ordering collaborative – this is intended to facilitate provision of needed medication and other supplies to all communities who are twinned, and ensure that the people of the Diocese have consistent access to essential medications.
- Development of a health care facility for the people of the Diocese of Hinche. There are critical access problem for radiology and laboratory services, and the wait times to be seen at the national hospital can be 3 days. We believe that a Diocesan health center is critical to support the core functions of our health care ministry as well as the twinned parish clinics.
- Educational programs for laboratory workers, nurses and physicians to provide ongoing support and collaboration. We hope this will also include telehealth support from the US and other clinical centers throughout the world.
We are very interested in having representatives from parishes across the Diocese join us on the Healthcare Support Team. If anyone from a Richmond Diocese parish has a heart for health care, we would like to hear from them and add their voice to our work! For more information, email the Office of Social Ministries.
HHST Meeting Minutes
Minutes of the Haiti Healthcare Support Team May 22, 2023
Minutes of Haiti Healthcare Support Team September 18, 2023
Haiti Healthcare Known Projects 2023
Haiti Healthcare Parish Twinning Survey Results 2023
Useful Links and Resources