March 17, 2021
WASHINGTON – Marking the fifth anniversary of the Apostolic Exhortation, Amoris Laetitia (The Joy of Love), Pope Francis has asked the Church to celebrate the family and reflect upon how ministry supports married couples and the family in every level of Church life. The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ (USCCB) Committee on Laity, Marriage, Family Life, and Youth is coordinating the anniversary celebration in the U.S.
The “Year of Amoris Laetitia Family” is meant to be an opportunity for reflection and appreciation of the Holy Father’s apostolic exhortation. In launching this initiative, the Vatican is upholding the important role that families play, which has been highlighted during the COVID pandemic. The spiritual, pastoral, and cultural content and resources for the initiative are meant to reach families around the world and are meant to be implemented at the local level in parishes and dioceses, as well as in universities, by ecclesial movements, and family associations.
The USCCB has launched new pages on its website to celebrate the Year of Amoris LaetitiaFamily, which will run from March 19, 2021 to June 26, 2022. The year-long celebration will conclude at the Tenth World Meeting of Families in Rome in June 2022.
The USCCB’s new Amoris Laetitia webpages feature:
- Links to the Vatican website about the initiative with videos of Pope Francis teaching about the family and frequently asked questions about the apostolic exhortation
- Catechesis on the Sacrament of Marriage, the Family as Domestic Church, Theology of the Body, and Natural Family Planning
- Sharing the joy of marital and familial love with youth and young adults
- Resources for families in many situations of need
- Monthly reflections by the staff of the USCCB’s Secretariat for Laity, Marriage, Family Life, and Youth on each of Pope Francis’s “Twelve Ways to Walk with Families”
- Resources for pilgrims who plan to attend the World Meeting of Families in Rome
- Resources for dioceses preparing simultaneous events to celebrate the World Meeting of Families locally.
More information for the initiative may be found at: https://www.usccb.org/topics/marriage-and-family-life-ministries/year-amoris-laetitia-family.